Tuesday, August 15, 2006

A Poem

Hey, this is a poem i had written 6 years back about a friend of mine. It is very elementary in prose, but very close to my heart because its written about something that actually happened in our lives.

This was/is a friend i was very close to during school time. He is not in Mumbai now, but we are very much in touch and plan to catch up on old times when he returns. We are still as good
friends, if not better.

I am not a good poet, so bear with me.
So, here goes . . .

To each other, we were the closest
Unaffected by what others said.
Fights & quarrels we did detest,
Close friendship is what we shared...

School got over, then came college;
Free to do whatever we want -
We were no more in a cage.
Those years will forever me haunt....

He started with a drink,
it ended with smokes and drugs.
Vanished were those smiles that would sink
All my sorrows; Vanished were those Hugs.

I wanted to leave him now.
He was no more the person i knew,
He had totally changed, and how . .
But friends like him were really very few.

I told him what i felt.
"Don't abandon me", was all he said.
I felt guilty, my heart did melt.
I decided to stand by him instead.

He gave it all up, it came to an end;
How he succumbed at first, it really seemed strange.
We don't have to change friends, -
I realised, if we understand that friends change . .

No comments:

Rate this Post