Thursday, September 07, 2006

Two cups & a coffee machine


The vision of two cups and a coffee machine is still fresh in my mind. It was New Year's Eve & I was totally dejected because my plans with my pals for New Year's Eve partying had not worked out. But later I discovered the cause for my dejection was a blessing in disguise. She invited me to spend the last 2 hours of the year with her. I did so, only to please myself - I would not be home on New Year's, atleast.

With 2 cups of coffee on that cold night, she came to me like an angel. Throughout my teenage life, I partied on New Year's Eve. But this time, I talked. And believe me,. it was the BEST time. We talked about life. Her life & my life. And I realised she was just like me. Searching for some one to love her. Someone she could be proud of. Someone who would listen to her, even when what she was sayin wasn't making any sense. Someone who would just be there.
Every time. Always. Forever.

It was strange in the first place to be with her in such a situation. Not uncomfortable, not at all, but very different.

There is a very thin line between friendship & love. And it felt like we were on the verge of crossing that line. I didn't know what to do. We were running out of words. Finally we opened up our feelings and talked freely about it.

And boy!! It was one of a kind conversation. I was certain I liked her and to be honest, I was damn sure she liked me too. She almost said it to me that night. But some things are not meant to be. No matter how you feel about each other. No matter how much you believe it's going to be good between you two. Some things are exceptions. They have to be.

Nobody tells you what to do. You just know what to do. If you care enough to listen to that little thing inside you, you'll know what's the best thing to do.
And we knew what was right for us.

This is a very small incident of two cups & a coffee machine, but such incidents teach you lessons for a lifetime.

I can never forget that night. No matter how hard I try.
Soon, I realised my coffee had gone dead cold. Quickly i sipped it & the clock struck 12.

We wished each other a happy new year and began to alight. It suddenly felt like I was alone in a new world filled with strangers. We walked in opposite directions. Something made me stop & turn back. I did so, only to find her turn back at that very moment.
Our eyes met. The gleam in her eyes seemed to convey to me something indefinable & spoke out everything she did not.

I wanted to run towards her & hug her tightly.

Instead, I turned back and walked away.


1 comment:

Anushree said...

Wwwwoowww K.!!!.. How romantic is that..!!!!!!!! Never seen you writing this before.. hmmm.. Really well written.. I want to know more..!!! ;-)...Just loved it..!!

Rate this Post